"Your Natural Diet: Alive Raw Foods"
by T. C. Fry and David Klein
Part 9: Dietary Transition
My advice to people desiring success on the raw food path is that they first get a proper education in nutrition and self-healing from Dr. Shelton´s, Dr. T. C. Fry, Dr. Douglas Graham´s and Arthur Baker´s books, and second, that they tune in to their bodie´s signals to discern what they truly need for nourishment, balance and healing. Here are some guidelines on how to make the transition to a diet of 90-100% alive raw organic foods.
Freelee´s transition pictures from SAD (Standard American Diet) to RAW
Phase 1 - Immediately to 3 weeks
- Discontinue salt.
- Go vegan: phase out all meat, eggs and dairy - replace with avocado, nuts, seeds.
- Discontinue white bread, white rice and soy products.
- Replace white bread with whole grain bread or avoid all bread entirely.
- Discontinue processed cheese.
- Discontinue all soft drinks and caffeinated beverages.
- Phase out all junk foods.
- Replace processed sugar sweets with dried and fresh fruit and raw honey.
- Begin shopping at healthfood stores, buying fruits and vegetables.
- Begin following food combining: fruit alone or with green vegetables; avoid starches with high protein foods.
- Have some fruit for breakfast - try citrus - and vegetable salads with each cooked food meal.
- Use a steamer to cook.
- Drink several glasses of distilled water per day, mostly in the morning.
- Exercise vigorously at least once per day.
- Optional: begin experimenting with fresh made fruit and vegetable juices.
Phase 2-3 to 8 weeks
- Have only raw food for breakfast, and no cooked food till noon (if at all).
- Phase out all pasta and white flour products.
- Phase out whole grain bread, cereals and related products.
- Gradually increase your raw food intake to at least 75%
- Have nuts/seeds only once per day (it at all).
- Do not eat starchy foods on the same day of eating nuts/seeds.
Phase 3-6 weeks to as long as it takes
- Gradually increase your raw food consumption to 90-100%
- Follow proper food combining all of the time.
Food shopping tips
- Experiment - try new foods.
- Get in touch with the foods your body finds to be most flavorful or refreshing and observe and select the most fragrant and visually attractive foods.
- Don´t over-stock perishable foods - shop often.
- Buy your mainstays in bulk quantities.
- Go 100% organic.
- Frequent farmers markets if available.
Remember that simple meal is best. If fruit is too sweet, than have a cucumber or celery with it. If you have strong craving for fat and want to eat lots of avocado or nuts, or strong craving for cooked starchy foods, then have some if it feels right, however, have plenty of fresh salad with it. Bring your healthy food always with you - to your workplace or when you travel or even when you go to visit somebody.
Try 100% one day!
You can do it! Juicing can help you to get ready. Don´t force it. Don´t judge yourself. Follow your goals, let it flow and enjoy!