Our body is very smart and it is NEVER working against us. It just makes the best out of what we provide. If you provide your body with healthy materials it creates health, if you give it junky or dead food, it will give you a junky and dead body.
For our teeth and bone health (and also for our entire body health) it is very important that our body remains alkaline, with a normal pH about 7.4. If it is too acidic, it has to put tremendous effort to balance the acidity with alkaline minerals from your body. If you consume acidic foods, your body has to leach calcium and other alkaline minerals from your teeth and bones. For example, it is really controversial that they say that "milk is good for your bones, it makes them stronger", while actually the opposite is true. Milk and all other animal products are very acid-forming to our body, and if you consume milk, you will actually lose calcium from your bones and osteoporosis will result.
The same is with your teeth, as teeth are your visible bones. Consume acidic forming foods and you will have tooth decay, cavities or worse.
ACID-FORMING: Foods which, when metabolized, form acidic end-products. Acids must be neutralized because the body must maintain an alkaline disposition of blood and fluids. Phosphorus, chlorine, sulfur and silicon are the most prevalent acid-forming elements.
ALKALINE-FORMING: Foods which, when metabolized, form bases or alkalis in the body. Alkalis are base elements that predominate in the body. We require an alkaline disposition of blood and fluids. Calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron are the most significant alkaline elements.
Acid-forming foods are:
- All animal products (meat, eggs, milk...)
- Processed foods (everything that you wont see in nature - canned foods, pastry, packaged foods...)
- Cooked foods (even if you cook otherwise alkaline vegetables, cooking will turn them acidic)
- Nuts and seeds except walnuts, chestnuts and coconuts (you should consume only raw nuts and seeds, but very moderately)
- All legumes and starches
- All grains except millet
Alkaline forming foods are:
- Raw fruits
- Raw vegetables
- Fresh raw green beans, peas and their sprouts
Also many raw foodists consume too much fat in their diet, commonly even more than a person on Standard American Diet (SAD). On a SAD diet people consume about 40% fat, but a person on a raw (gourmet raw) diet, consume 70% or more! That´s very easily done by adding nuts-avocados-oils to your dishes, as most raw gourmet foods contain plenty of them. Too much fat will ruin your teeth for sure!
So next time when you see a fruitarian with bad teeth then they probably did something wrong from the list i provided above: they consumed too much fat, animal products or cooked foods-grains as well. But if you are 100% low fat raw vegan, following 80/10/10 program, then you will NEVER have any teeth problems again. But if you come to this lifestyle with already existing teeth problems and detoxification will start to eliminate all the waste in your system it is possible that high fruit diet will just bring your already existing teeth problems to the surface. It is our past life bad eating habits, but not the fruits fault!
But how come some people can eat acid-forming foods 3 times a day 365 days a year without teeth problems or osteoporosis?
Now i wanna ask you, how smoking can be worse to the passive-smokers health?
Thats because passive-smoker doesn´t have the protecting mucous covering hes organs what was produced in smokers lungs in order to protect the body. Continuous smoking will cause body to make this sticky slime around your lungs to keep the body functioning. The non-smoker wont have that protective (but no needed) mucous in his body, because hes body never needed to produce it and thats why hes more vulnerable to such poisons.
Same is with little children who are still very pure and clean inside. If you give a baby child alcohol, tobacco or even such unbeknownst poison as cooked food, hes body will probably react pretty strong.
So the people who dont develop teeth problems seemingly, have a mucous covering their organs so it will just delay the problem. But if they get older, their body will eventually give up protecting them, because the toxicity is overwhelming and then they will have all sorts of problems. When we are young we can drink, smoke, eat junk, stay awake all night, play with our health - nothing happens, so we think we are somehow "stronger" in health than others. But if we get old, get osteoporosis or lose our teeth, we just blame it to our "old age", nothing to do with our past life...
If you are a low fat vegan or even low fat raw vegan, your body will detoxify, you will get rid of all the unnecessary mucous in your body, you will get clean. So yes, cooked food or other acidic foods will affect your body more than before. But it DOES NOT mean that you are now somehow weaker. Conversely you are much stronger health wise, as no "cold" or illness will affect you as long as you stay away from unhealthy foods.
This problem was also concerning me for some time since i begun my raw journey. I am not 100% low fat raw myself (yet). I eat fruit for breakfast and lunch but i still have a cooked food dinner. So i was worried if it will cause me teeth problems in long term? Most of the time i eat a very healthy vegan dinner. I only use whole grains and lots of vegetables. I dont consume any oil, and very little nuts or avocado, so its pretty low in fat. I try to eat a raw salad with my cooked meal.
From a book "Alive Raw foods" by T. C. Fry and David Klein i red that our diet must consist of at least 80% alakline forming and maximum 20% acid forming foods. If you still eat about 20% acid forming foods, the other 80% of alkaline forming foods will balance the acidity to normal levels without major damage to your body. So i recommend - if you still need to eat cooked foods, let it be healthy low fat vegan foods and keep it close to 20% of your daily intake. With the rest 80% consume raw fruits and salads. But keep it in mind that raw nuts are also acid forming, so not all raw is alkaline.
In the book "Raw Food Controversies" by Frederic Patenaude, he really scared me saying that after he had been raw food four years, he went to the dentist and was told to have 19 cavities! But he was a high fat raw for all those years. He believes that you have to rinse your mouth with water every time you eat fruit and even to brush your teeth every time you eat fruit. Im not sure if that all is necessary, but having a good dental hygiene is definitely essential! Freelee and Durianrider have been low fat raw vegans for over 5 years and they have PERFECT teeth, so does Douglas Graham who has been on 80/10/10 path for 30 years.
Heres a video where Durianrider speaks about teeth and being fruitarian on 1:50 sec: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLK3P_eyrxA
Here is Douglas Graham speaking about fruit and tooth decay:
Other important notes:
- Drink plenty of water as well, it will help to make your mouth pH more alkaline
- Eat your fruit ALWAYS ripe, it is also necessary for alkaline balance
- Even acidic fruits like oranges or grapefruit will have the alkaline END-PRODUCT in your body. Acidic fruits are NOT acid-forming.
- We should consume more food on a raw food diet in volume-wise, as raw fruits and vegetables contain much water. We have to make sure we eat enough calories so we get all necessary vitamins and minerals that are important for our teeth health.
- There are no long-term 100% low fat raw vegans, 811 followers, who have teeth problems!